Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My Homie Toni

So we went to this team barbecue last weekend and it was pretty chill, a way for the team to get together outside of basketball and just chill. They had more steaks than I could eat and some of the best pasta salad I've ever had. I actually just finished the leftovers before I sat down to write this blog.

But long story short, while I was there, I was talking to this kid Toni, who was excited to have time to talk to us players. He sings for the local boys choir here in Gottingen and had been dealing with some bullies at school. Since I'm not allowed to show up to his class and beat the crap out of 4th graders, I tried to explain to him that I was the same way when I was his age. Shy, soft spoken, and reclusive are the best adjectives to describe a good chunk of my childhood and I definitely dealt with my share of bullies. Although I don't know what ever happened to them, I pray every night that I could run into them again, but I'd be willing to bet I'm better off than they are.


What I tried to explain to Toni was that most people grow out of their shell and start to socialize more but it'll take a little bit of swagger. He told me he was told "that no one that sings is cool, and I reassured him that even basketball players wish they were singers and that I'd definitely come watch him sing at some point during the year. I gave him email address so he could send me this picture we took together, and along with it, he wrote me the coolest email ever. Although his English needs some work, if any of you make fun of him, I may have a flashback to when I got picked on and beat the crap out of you.

hey Boone here are the pics from us thank you for the time is wos grate with you i forget to thay hello from my mom  and my dad they can´t come with us. I must say you from lena my sister that you are the best player she dont no what it mean in english so she dont tell you and, you are my favorite player too please anwer me  when you become this mail  then i now that you reat it. It wos nice too meet you 

How cool is that? This is definitely the most overlooked and under appreciated part of my job life.

The other good part of the barbecue was that Taj Finger brought his girlfriend and it was the first time we all had met her. "Taj, what are you doing?"

That's actually Toni's sister, not Taj's girlfriend...haha
Be sure to read Taj's blog at http://www.mourningwould.com/



Do What You Do      Hallelujah Hollaback      ...blackhercules21...
Learned early, to fear none little Nas was huntin
Livin carefree laughin, got jokes on the daily
Y'all actin like some old folks y'all don't hear me
Yo I'm in my second childhood"

--Nas- 2nd Childhood

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jason,

    I love your blog. I was talking to you at the barbeque about the choir and I think it's great that you are blogging about it.

    Last weekend we had a rehearsal weekend with the choir in the Harz, we had a great time. Toni will be so proud to hear about this blog. Check out our website at www.goettinger-knabenchor.de - it's just in German but I know you're learning! ;)

    Have fun in Quakenbrück! I will be there and would love to talk to you after the game.

    Basti :)

    ReplyDelete